Wednesday 3 October 2012

Amatorski

I recently did an interview with Dutch comics legend Joost Swarte that will be up on The Quietus soon.  His work is excellent, I highly recommend checking it out. I was particularly impressed that in his book Is That All There Is?, he lists a 'Listening Tips From The Studio'. This is something I think all artists, no matter what the medium, should do. I'm always curious to know what people are listening to (Go-Kart Mozart included such a list on their latest, On The Hot Dog Streets). Joost Swarte mentioned "one of the most interesting young groups in Belgium is Amatorski" so I knew I should check them out. And very pleased I did, buying all their available output upon hearing them. Lovely, dreamy pop. Some of it reminding me of David Lynch's 50's-esque numbers but with synthesizers, at other times I think of Stars and Broadcast, but softer.

Come Home:



The King:



Never Told:



The haunting and lovely instrumental, Faded:



Same Stars We Shared (excellent title):



And I absolutely love this beautiful reworking of 8 November by Lewis In Heaven, from their remix album re:tbc. A heavenly slice of romantic, spacey Pop.

A live session of the song from Eurosonic 2012 in Groningen, The Netherlands:

No comments:

Post a Comment